Work provides income, structure, identity, and social interaction. Instead of having one career, many people cycle in and out of several jobs throughout their life. No matter what any retiree says about looking forward to “doing nothing”, after awhile those days with no reason to get up in the morning can become dull, depressing and seemingly out of control. Or you may be busier than ever as a caregiver to your parents or to your grandchildren. You are facing a pivotal time in your life and things can change quickly. A successful retirement depends on your financial, physical and emotional well-being.
How many of the following issues are you facing with retirement?
- Empty Nest Syndrome: What do I do now? What is my purpose?
- Career Considerations: Can I change careers now? What should I do?
- Retirement Goals: How will I spend my time?
- Identity Crisis: Who am I? What do I want from my life moving forward?
- Physical and Mental Health: How do I prioritize?
- Couple’s Identity Crisis: Who is this person? How do we reconnect?
- Loss of Spouse/Partner: How do I live my life without my spouse/partner?
- Community Connection: How do I get involved in my community and give back?
- Financial Stability: Can I afford to retire?
How will a Coach help me?
As your coach, I will partner with you to counteract any fear of the unknown, fear of loss of identity, or fear of aging and mortality. The mere thought of change can paralyze even the bravest among us. You are not immune from fear even though your decision to retire makes the best sense. Your best years don’t have to be filled with anxiety or depression because you lost your sense of purpose.
Together, we develop a plan about how to lead an active life filled with people and activities that give you meaning and purpose. Part of the exploration phase is assessing your support network of family and friends. You need to have realistic expectations about any health or emotional concerns. You also need to develop a positive outlook because your attitude will strongly influence your experience. Through the coaching process, you will learn how to become proactive rather than reactive in decision making about the present and your future. You will have the tools to embrace change and overcome challenges so you can enjoy a fulfilling and rewarding life.